The Website

Forum Issues? Site Suggestions?

Re: The Website

Postby Phauss » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:37 pm

Upon further investigation, I believe that the router is restarting itself because of traffic going to a couple of laptops here in the apartment. The laptops belong to a couple of guests staying here for about a week, so until then, I believe we just have to bear with vent disconnects.

[EDIT]: I've dicovered a phone line in the apartment that didn't have a filter between the phone and the outlet. Every time a call came in or out, the DSL service would be interrupted and the modem would lose DSL synch. Hopefully that was the issue and we won't have such a big problem with disconnects.
We are each a beautiful and unique snowflake that will melt in hell.

I got the words "jacuzzi" and "yakuza" confused.
Now I'm in hot water with the Japanese mafia.
Phauss
Site Admin

Postby Phauss » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:18 am

I missed a phone line in the apartment, and my mom made a phone call without a DSL filter on the line. I put a filter on that phone jack and spot checked around the apartment, so there shouldn't be any more disconnects because incoming or outgoing phone calls on lines without filters (hopefully).

Incoming Technical Stuff:

For anyone wondering what these filters do, they basically filter out the signals on the line. Phones are analog devices and computers are digital. A phone recognizes a frequency of 0 and 1 and everything inbetween (think of a smooth wave) and a computer only recognizes the 0 and the 1 (a blocky up-down line). The filters job is to make sure traffic meant for the phone doesn't desynchronize the DSL modem with analog traffic interference, and to make sure there's not a whole lot of strange interference noise on the telephone from digital traffic meant for the computer.

(On a technical note, it's a modem's job to interpret analog signals. In fact, "modem" is short for "modulator/demodulator", which means it modulates and demodulates between analog and digital signals. The computer sends digital information to the modem, which modulates it into an analog signal that travels across a network until it hits another modem, which demodulates it back into a digital signal for the other computer to receive.)

Phauss
Site Admin

Postby Forb » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:59 am

So here I was, uploading some music to the FTP when it dawned on me. Unless I take the time to individually tell you all that I put something in there, you don't know. Wouldn't it be cool to have a thread somewhere where we could see what new stuff is in there and maybe even request things for people to stick in?

I'm too lazy to do this myself, but I can imagine Hunter wouldn't mind a terrible amount since he enjoys his admin position.

And now I am tired and sleep is now. Bye-bii.

"Chi yo...yami yo...ware no moto ni!"
Forb
Site Mod

Postby Phauss » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:30 am

Done and done.

The Server forum is the new place to post things on the client side of things (as in, not posting problems about the servers or site, because that's what this thread is mainly for.) It'll basically be the public side of the server if you want to announce new files on the FTP and such.

If Forb has an Extravaganza folder or Stef has fun anime .exe's to share, that would be the kind of place to announce it. If Stef wanted to double-post an anime file announcement in both the server forum and anime forum, that would be fine. One forum or the other is fine, too.

Phauss
Site Admin

Postby Phauss » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:14 am

The board will now automatically resize images in posts. Clicking the image will load it in full resolution over the board without leaving the page. Linking to an image from a post is still possible in both reduced and full sizes.

For future references, images over 670 pixels wide will be resized.

Phauss
Site Admin

Postby Forb » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:06 pm

Phauss wrote:The board will now automatically resize images in posts. Clicking the image will load it in full resolution over the board without leaving the page. Linking to an image from a post is still possible in both reduced and full sizes.

For future references, images over 670 pixels wide will be resized.

I understand why you've done this, but just know that it is a bit of a pet peeve when sites do this. It probably is for the best, anyhow.

"Chi yo...yami yo...ware no moto ni!"
Forb
Site Mod

Postby Phauss » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:07 pm

I didn't like it when posts in a thread would extend out to the right when a large image was posted, but I also didn't want to force a permanent image resize, so I scripted a zoom-in option when you click the resized image. If the original image is larger than the width or height of the browser window, the image popup will resize according to the browser's dimensions, with a zoom in/out button in the top left to view the full resolution in a scrolling area.

Speaking of images:
http://aserverwith.no-ip.org/imagehost/

I'm almost done tweaking it, but it's a fully operational image host as it is right now. I made it mostly as a response to Imageshack recently requiring a login to get a direct image URL after uploading. There's an option to spit out a short URL in the form of a tinyurl.com link, if desired. Supported formats are JPG, GIF, PNG, and BMP, all up to 5 megs. Let me know if you need more file size allowance, but I think 5MB is probably enough.

Phauss
Site Admin

Postby Phauss » Thu May 05, 2011 4:32 am

The server, which includes the forums, vent server, and general website (among other things), will be making a move in the near future, most likely within a week and a half. It will either be on a similar speed network or it will more likely be on a network about 25 times faster to handle multiple FTP file uploads and downloads while simultaneously hosting vent and the forums without latency.

What does that mean? No more overnight downloads for 200MB files! That also means the server will have its own dedicated bandwidth and IP seperate from my computer, the gaming rig. The server's address travels with the hard drive, so vent and forum URL's will be the same.

Currently, the server is on a 6Mb down and 768Kb up network (theoretical max speed is 768KBps in and 96KBps out.) If things happen quickly enough, the server will be on a network that travels 25Mb in both directions (that's a theoretical 3.2MB a second, roughly 32 times faster uploading than before.)

The server during that time will be offline for a period of around a day, give or take. I don't have a date, but I thought I'd put this information out there ahead of time.

To do:
  • Create an idiot-proof youtube BB code for Kaelas.
  • Update the Wowhead item tooltip code.
  • Put other games in the Gaming forum. Allow moderators to add games to the Gaming forum.
  • Inspire the underli-... the users to get an avatar. Cool people use avatars.
  • Make a progression list for Cadre on the front page.

Phauss
Site Admin

Postby Clow » Sun May 15, 2011 1:54 pm

What do you call a midget fortune teller who has escaped from prison?
A small medium at large.
http://aserverwith.no-ip.org/img/Pizzer ... 809317.png
Clow
Site Admin

Postby Phauss » Wed May 18, 2011 12:47 pm

It's a little late, but as shown in Clow's screenshot above, the servers are online! The upload and download speeds of the torrent server are shown, and they're significantly faster than they were, especially the upload speed.

I thought I'd state that while the servers are up, the FTP always gives me the most trouble, especially when the network gets a new router. It's usually a port forwarding issue, but those have since been ironed out. However, after running a few test and downloading many files simultaneously, I believe the set port range on the server is too small. After downloading 20 files, any following downloads will fail and return a "425 Can't open data connection" error. Directory listing also won't work for a short time. I'll have to work on this when I head back to California, which will be sometime around the 28th or so.

Phauss
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions and Ideas