Homesteading (Or: Let's Build a Secret Base)

Whatever you'd like it to be.

Homesteading (Or: Let's Build a Secret Base)

Postby Forb » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:11 am

This thread is about living off the grid.

Things that may be related to self-sufficiency... or other stuff.

https://www.reddit.com/r/homestead

This video is about a big ol' solar kiln.

"Chi yo...yami yo...ware no moto ni!"
Forb
Site Mod

Re: Homesteading (Or: Let's Build a Secret Base)

Postby Forb » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:58 pm

How to add an island to your base made from recycled and plant material.

"Chi yo...yami yo...ware no moto ni!"
Forb
Site Mod

Re: Homesteading (Or: Let's Build a Secret Base)

Postby Phauss » Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:07 pm

I posted this in vent a while back, but I guess this can go here. I get excited about this kind of stuff, anyways.

I threw a quick render together detailing a container house I've always had in my head. It started of with four 40' containers, two on bottom and two on top, making a square from above with an open area in the middle. This yields much more usable space than just the four containers side by side. While I was modeling the four containers, I thought maybe a basement work area wouldn't be so bad, so the structure gets another two containers below ground level. "Oh, what if I extended the roof out to another container on the side?" The other container would probably be like a shed for storage, and the extended roof provides more surface area for solar panels or water heating as well as a large outdoor covered area for parking an RV or something. The other side of the roof gets omni-directional wind turbines.

Ok, that's neat. What do we do with the inside area? Well, let's get an overhang over half the basement floor at ground level for parking cars. And hey, it would be cool if we had a gantry crane, so that we could lift stuff out of a pickup and lower it into the basement! Hmm... but what if we want to drive into the basement? That's ok, we'll put in a driveway ramp that can also double as rainwater collection.

What about the top floor? Well, we'll just make it a greenhouse between the containers. The containers themselves will be living areas for maybe up to 4 people, with two common area containers for cooking/leisure. Spiral staircases would allow vertical movement at two opposite corners.

That's all I've really thought of, though. I haven't modeled the inside, but I have put in roll-up doors for the garage/work spaces. It would be neat if I could really give it some more detail.
We are each a beautiful and unique snowflake that will melt in hell.

I got the words "jacuzzi" and "yakuza" confused.
Now I'm in hot water with the Japanese mafia.
Phauss
Site Admin

Return to General Discussion