Trying to find a new cell phone

Whatever you'd like it to be.

Trying to find a new cell phone

Postby Forb » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:02 pm

Looking into just buying a used, refurbished phone off ebay... But I just don't know what models to look at.

-I don't want something that I feel will break.

-I prefer flip phones, it's a simple concept.

Going off those two things, can people just like link the model/brand of their phone and tell me a little about how it feels physically, as well as using the interface?

I would really appreciate any help, as I have to get a new phone before I go to Milwaukee in about a week.

"Chi yo...yami yo...ware no moto ni!"
Forb
Site Mod

Re: Trying to find a new cell phone

Postby Phauss » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:27 am

I like my phone a lot. It's a Samsung U740. It's a phone, does texting, and has a camera. It'll act as a modem with a USB data cable at a decent speed, if you're in a pinch to get online. I really just like it because it has a physical keyboard and flips in two directions. It's also really thin, incase you're too worried about that.

It's definitely just a phone and not a smartphone. But for something as small as it is, and for what I use it for, it's excellent. The going price for it (as in working phones) on Ebay is $45-55 for "buy it now" auctions, which is strange because the new version (the Alias 2) is selling at Verizon for about $25 with a 2 year contract. The only difference being that the buttons are each small LCD displays and will only display certain things depending on how you open the phone (not sure if it has a gravity sensor, but I don't think it does). The outside LCD display is also bigger, and the phone is a little bit rounded off at the edges. It's all pretty much cosmetic.

I can only assume that the Alias 1 is more than the Alias 2 because it doesn't come with a contract (and is therefore open for use on any CDMA network, which I believe may be specific to Verizon anyways.) Notice the Alias 2 on the Verizon site is $320 without the contract and online discounts. With that taken into account, the Alias 1 becomes much cheaper as an unactivated phone (which Verizon will activate if you just take it into the store.)

I imagine you still have a contract with your service provider, and therefore just need a phone to activate. If that's the case, find a phone you like on your provider's site, then go to Ebay and find it for cheaper (or cheaper than it would be to buy an inactive phone from the retailer's site, by at least a couple hundred dollars).

My phone:
ImageImage
We are each a beautiful and unique snowflake that will melt in hell.

I got the words "jacuzzi" and "yakuza" confused.
Now I'm in hot water with the Japanese mafia.
Phauss
Site Admin

Return to General Discussion