Solo Handle modpack: on building the world, not our homes.

Solo Handle modpack: on building the world, not our homes.

Postby Clow » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:05 pm

I've been snooping around other servers and seeing what everyone else has done, and I've come to a major conclusion.

We should build the world, not just our homes.

We hole ourselves up and let the rest of the beautiful server rot. Although the terrain generation and Biomes O' Plenty give us enough to explore, we can give each other more.

Here are my plans:

First of all, some of you may know that I've come up with a silly little deity to build shrines of in my base. He looks like this:

I'd like to build a lot of these fairly well spread out around the explored portion of the server and within a reasonable distance of the server spawn point. The idea is that they can protect new players while they explore. I'll be placing Magnum Torches inside of them. Perhaps even have some Spring Water in them. But there's another really cool thing: graveyard and consecrated soil.

These were added by Tinker's Construct. Graveyard Soil heals undead while Consecrated Soil harms them. In addition to the Magnum Torches, the shrines will be surrounded by a few layers of Consecrated Soil. This will help them fight off any monsters that might have chased them that far.

And since the soils are so cool I'll also be building graveyards here and there, especially in Dark Forests. I'll probably also build shrines in them, although not with Magnum Torches, and have the Consecrated Soil be spreading out and overtaking the graveyard soil, as if the shrine was in the middle of cleansing it.

I'd also really like to design and build some ruins, too.

Let's all think of ways to make the server more awesome!
What do you call a midget fortune teller who has escaped from prison?
A small medium at large.
http://aserverwith.no-ip.org/img/Pizzer ... 809317.png
Clow
Site Admin

Re: Solo Handle modpack: on building the world, not our home

Postby Phauss » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:50 pm

I think that will definitely make exploration a lot more interesting. I would like to build a city-state and place the server spawn in the center. I think the closest I got to that was on the original server, when you were making your first port city. If I can get back into that mindset, having a combination of cities and random monuments/sanctuaries (temples?) in the wilderness would greatly add to the server, especially given how far we've gotten architecturally since that first world. (Insert excuse to make extensive use of micro blocks on a large scale.)
We are each a beautiful and unique snowflake that will melt in hell.

I got the words "jacuzzi" and "yakuza" confused.
Now I'm in hot water with the Japanese mafia.
Phauss
Site Admin

Postby Clow » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:53 am

Here's what I've cooked up so far:

The marked graveyard is the only one I've decided on the location on. It's next to a village and a Dark Forest. I wanted one graveyard to have a "shattered" shrine where the soil is all graveyard and the undead go crazy so that'll be that one. It'll be a really big graveyard growing into the forest. I'll also be planting Zombie and Skeleton soul cages. Also probably some chests with loot in them, although other than newbies it's really hard to entice people with shit like that since we all have so much since it's so easy to get so much.

I'm also considering making small graveyards at all of the villages I find, maybe with a single zombie soul cage each or something, and closing it off so they don't just eat the villagers.

The light blue dots also represent what I'm thinking making the shrine spread look like. Not the precise locations, per se, but I did try to guess where I'd want to put them. A lot of edges of forests. And when I find spots for more larger graveyards they'll have their own shrines as well, like I said. And if the server keeps getting explored and actually populated further and further away from the spawn I can keep building, although they don't have as much of a point far out I suppose.

Any suggestions, ideas, or complaints?
A small medium at large.
Clow
Site Admin

Postby Phauss » Thu Dec 25, 2014 5:49 am

So as most of you know, I have been putting together a rail system to connect different locations on the server. It's gone through many revisions and adjustments, and I think it's good enough now to make more than just a prototype line. There will be some space requirements if you want a station. Terminal stations (the end of the line) require some additional room for a holding and refueling area. Stations should be at least 12 blocks long, preferably more. Holding areas should be 16 blocks long and 3 blocks wide. The placement of the holding area isn't too important; it can go straight from the station or go alongside it. In-line setups are more or less perfected and less complicated, but stations are pretty complicated anyways, so yeah. I'll go into more detail in my minecraft stuff thread.

Here are a few examples of some different stations to give you an idea.

In-line terminal, the holding area is a straight shot from the station:

Parallel terminal, the holding area is alongside the station:

Run-through, where trains arrive and depart in both directions:

Phauss
Site Admin

Postby Clow » Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:49 pm

HUNTER I'VE HAD A STATION FOR LIKE TWO DAYS HURRY UP
A small medium at large.
Clow
Site Admin

Postby Phauss » Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:09 am

That looks like the holding loop in the fenced area, but I'm not sure where you want the station track to go. Also, pick blue, green, or orange.

Phauss
Site Admin

Postby Forb » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:01 am

Phauss wrote:That looks like the holding loop in the fenced area, but I'm not sure where you want the station track to go. Also, pick blue, green, or orange.

Can I call green?

"Chi yo...yami yo...ware no moto ni!"
Forb
Site Mod

Postby Phauss » Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:45 am

Nope, Clow already called it. :/

Phauss
Site Admin

Postby Clow » Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:55 am

Wait, I thought I said blue.

Whatevs.
A small medium at large.
Clow
Site Admin

Postby Phauss » Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:12 am

Well, a couple of trains collided at Col_Kluts' farm station while I was working on the junction to Clow's place. I don't even know how it happened, since it's been working fine this whole time. It was an outdated design compared to the other stations, but I didn't modify it due to the "don't fix it if it ain't broke" clause. I guess it's time to fix it.

Here's the screenshot after doing some damage control

Phauss
Site Admin

Next

Return to Minecraft