Phauss' Railcraft Stuff

Phauss' Railcraft Stuff

Postby Phauss » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:29 am

I'll put things in this thread that I deem interesting enough to share. A lot of it will be underground stuff until I eventually start building above ground.

For now, have an aerial shot of the assembly line prototyping that I do at work. It's mostly a collection of assembly lines for making generators, solar panels, and low voltage solar panel arrays, and a couple of processing plants for taking raw materials and smelting/macerating things for industrial use.

I'll post screenshots and descriptions of each assembly line when I'm not using my phone for internet. Those who are into the technical side of things might enjoy it.
We are each a beautiful and unique snowflake that will melt in hell.

I got the words "jacuzzi" and "yakuza" confused.
Now I'm in hot water with the Japanese mafia.
Phauss
Site Admin

Re: Phauss's Stuff

Postby Phauss » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:20 pm

Man, it's been a while since I started this thread. It was supposed to go places, man!

Anyways, here it is again, kicking off with the Boriana Mine!

This is exactly what it sounds like: a mining outfit. The main shaft was dug out by hand, I got some material, and I went from there to make it all fancy. The ore carts gather up material and take it out of the mine for processing. Here's how it works in detail.

1. The cart goes around to gather ore placed in chests by the turtles that dug out the tunnels. The cart starts out empty, and will empty every chest until it's full. When it's full, it'll pass the remaining chests and continue to the end of its loop.

2. The cart will empty its contents. It'll unload into a cart that shuttles the contents to the mainshaft cart. The shuttle cart is pictured unloading here.

3. When the gathering cart is emptied, it'll go back to its starting position in the loop. The mainshaft cart will still be loading when it arrives. When the mainshaft cart leaves, it will pass over a detector that will send the gather cart through the loop again to get more material. The cart will stop here after the loop even if it didn't gather anything. If it had something to unload, the mainshaft cart will leave with it and trigger another loop.

4. The mainshaft cart will take the ore out of the mine and dump it into a cart that takes it to be processed. The processing cart will wait for the mainshaft cart until it gets a signal that unloading is complete, then it will start its loop. The mainshaft cart will go back to the bottom of the mine to await another load.

5. The first stop for the processing cart is the tailings compaction facility. All of the cobblestone, dirt, and gravel is unloaded from the cart to be compacted for easy storage. Dirt and cobblestone get compressed four times, and gravel twice.

6. After unloading at the compaction facility, the remainder of the load will go through ore processing. Ores will be filtered out and processed, while any other product (coal, redstone, etc.) continues through directly to a chest. After unloading at the processing facility, the cart will go back to the opening of the mine to wait for the mainshaft cart.

Phauss
Site Admin

Postby Phauss » Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:35 pm

Alright, time to get into more stuff! I've been getting a rail system up and running, so I thought I'd go into some of the details of how it works. First of all, I'll say that I did a lot of testing before I made any attempt to do anything on the server.

One of the things I wanted to do was to make an actual train system. That means stations, arrivals and departures, and the trains themselves. I could have made a simple "button make cart go" system, but in my infinite quest to complicate things, this was a lot more fun to make and possibly more interesting for the player to experience, I think.

So trains are pretty straightforward. You put some carts down, shift-right-click with a crowbar to join them, and you've got a train. Easy enough. What I wanted to do, though, was add a locomotive and have these things arrive at stations and then leave in a timely manner. So I got down to prototyping a bit of circuitry for the station.

There are four main parts to the circuit: an invert cell, timer #1, a toggle latch, and timer #2. (click spoiler for nerd stuff)
Spoiler: show
  1. Invert cell - This does what it implies; it inverts redstone signals. The inactive side is hooked up to the detector or input device, and the active side is mated to an input side of a timer to keep it from ticking and ticking.
  2. Timer #1 - Timers turn off when you apply a redstone signal to one of the three input sides. Without a signal, they'll just keep ticking away for whatever predetermined time you set them to. The first timer will be set to however long the train should stay in the station. 20 seconds, in this case. After 20 seconds, it will send a quick redstone pulse.
  3. Toggle latch - When it receives a pulse, the toggle latch will switch its active output to the opposite side. This is good for things like alternating between left and right tracks for every redstone pulse. 20 seconds after timer #1 is activated, a pulse triggers the toggle to send a redstone signal to the rail, letting our train leave the station.
  4. Timer #2 - This is the "off" switch. It sends a pulse to the toggle latch two seconds after timer #1 sends its pulse. This de-powers the rail and turns the timer off, because the active output of the toggle is now one of the timer's inputs. With the train out of the station, there's no more input and the whole thing is reset for the next train.

And hey, look, if I put the circuits back to back, I can make a station that works in both directions!

Flawless. With that out of the way, I could concentrate on the train. How should I get the train going? Do I put a train dispenser at each end of the line? Should I make the entire rail a loop? Nah, let's just have a train waiting at each end refueled and ready to go while a single train runs from one end to the other, so that the running train will replace the waiting train at the end of the transit. That way trains will always be freshly fueled before starting the trip! Brilliant! That was easy enough to do with a holding loop, a detector, and a switch track. Waiting trains would be held in place for refueling until an arriving train passes over the detector to send them off.Image

Awesome! But... wait a second, after running this setup on the server, it takes a long time for round trips with just one train on a single track. Trains also take a long time to go up big hills with just one locomotive. There need to be more trains! Trains with more locomotives! Time to make things even more complicated.

Requirements:
  • More trains per line.
  • Two locomotives per train.
  • No modifications to existing single-track stations.
This means we have to convert the entire single track with a double track to accommodate more trains, but also devise a way for trains to avoid collisions. This is where we go down the rabbit hole.

Signal blocks! Signal relays! Receivers! Have you ever tried untangling invisible fishing line? I haven't either, but this part could have been much less of a headache if there was a way to label signal receivers and the signals they were assigned to. Instead, "lines" appear when you wear trackman's goggles to see what's assigned to what. Have fun figuring this out, because it's confusing even with the signs for help. The "lines" are tracks of redstone dust particles and they don't help out very much.

Anyways, I eventually got it all figured out. The signal lights send signals to the receivers, and depending on the color of the light, the receivers will output a redstone signal. Using an AND logic circuit, I can tell trains exactly under which conditions they are allowed to progress. I added a receiver to the original station circuit, so that a train won't leave the station if there's another waiting train at the station ahead. I won't go into the many other conditions I've set for trains before they enter a station. Just know that they won't collide. Much. Just kidding. Sort of. The important thing is that I fulfilled the requirements. I doubled up on track, kept the stations single-track, added more trains, and added another locomotive with very minor modification to the holding areas.

Instead of three trains (one running, two waiting), five trains (three running, two waiting) can safely run on a line with two terminal stations and a run-through station. Six trains are possible, but you'll start running into problems. Four trains (two running, two waiting) are recommended for lines with no stops between terminals. According to test results, an electronics background, beginner's witchcraft, and daily sacrifices to Chin Chin are required to make this happen.

How does it hold up on the server?

SO FAR SO GOOD

HEIL CHIN CHIN

Phauss
Site Admin

Postby Phauss » Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:11 pm

"Hey Phauss, have you done anything lately to make trains more complicated?"

I'm so glad you asked.

Ok, so I've been working on the rail system and I encountered a situation where it's more efficient to add a fork to an existing line than to run two lines seperately. This would also give me an extra line at the main station since two lines are on the same track. That's good in case I want to use it for something fun, or if I get someone else involved on the server.

Anyways, forking a line. Simple with a single track. Complicated with a double track. We like complicated. Basically, we have tracks crossing tracks and cross traffic and all sorts of stuff. Trains always follow the right-side rule, because this is AMERICA. Knowing that, we have something we can plan around.

Alright, easy enough. There's some signaling set up so that we know where trains are and where they're coming from. I used those boxes under the track instead of lights to keep things clean. Let's make a list of things we want. Always have to have a to-do for these things.

Requirements:
  • Route trains based on locomotive color.
  • Stop trains if there's already traffic in the intersection.
  • If there is no traffic, allow trains to continue unimpeded.
  • If the stopped train will be going the same direction as the moving train, release the stopped train 20 seconds after the moving train has left the intersection to avoid rear-ending the first train at the next station.

Ok, cool. That routing-by-color thing was pretty easy to do with a routing switch motor. It took all of 45 seconds to figure out. My appetite for complication has not yet been sated, but that will get taken care of soon. Remember, we need a circuit that will always be on unless there's traffic and will only turn back on 20 seconds after traffic has left. Easy enough, right? Haha, nope.

I started playing around with the station circuit. A couple of hours later, I had a tangle of redwire, logic devices, detectors, receivers, and an unchanged station circuit in the middle of it all. I scrapped the whole thing. I started from scratch with one receiver and went from there. I ended up with something that still had to control a toggle, but in a different way with conditions. Click the spoiler for the nerd stuff.
Spoiler: show
  1. Receiver - This is the most important part. The receiver emits redstone when the track signals are green. The track signals are only green when there's an empty track. Therefore if there's a train, there's no redstone signal from the receiver.
  2. Pulse Former #1/#2 - These guys don't do anything until they get a redstone signal. It doesn't matter what that redstone signal is or how long or anything. As soon as they get it, they send one pulse. No more, no less. They won't send another one until their input turns off and turns on again.
  3. State Cell - State cells will trigger when a redstone pulse is received. They'll take a pulse, wait a predetermined amount of time, and then send another pulse. Then they turn off until another pulse is received.
  4. Toggle - This does the same thing as in the station circuit. Every time it receives a pulse, the output will switch sides. When the pulse formers send their signals, one goes directly to the toggle. The other pulse former goes through the state cell, and another signal hits the toggle 20 seconds after the first. The first signal disables the toggle's AND gate side and the second re-enables it.
  5. AND Gate - The AND gate requires three signals to activate the output. So as long as the receiver gets a green light AND the toggle output is on the correct side, it will activate the track to allow trains to pass. The third signal comes from a torch or, if there are two tracks to cross, another receiver.
  6. Repeater - The circuitry for the time delay slows down the redstone signal to the AND gate by a tiny amount. For a split second, the receiver gets the green light and gives the AND gate a signal before the time delay stuff is done. That activates the track enough to let a train pass before it should. The repeater adds a tiny delay to the receiver signal to eliminate that problem.

tl;dr - It works!! The circuit is a complete success!

Phauss
Site Admin

Postby Clow » Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:01 am

Phauss wrote:tl;dr - It works!! The circuit is a complete success!

Yaaay
What do you call a midget fortune teller who has escaped from prison?
A small medium at large.
http://aserverwith.no-ip.org/img/Pizzer ... 809317.png
Clow
Site Admin

Postby Phauss » Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:14 am

Update to the condensed version on the junction circuit. Also probably going to rename this thread to "Phauss' Railcraft Stuff" or something.

Phauss
Site Admin

Return to Minecraft