Posting in the Application area

Posting in the Application area

Postby Phauss » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:48 pm

Most of us at one point had to fill out an application for a guild, much like how we do things with new applicants. Posting is allowed in their threads, but there are rules to be followed when doing so.

• You must read the points in the application sticky and follow them yourselves. This sets a good example and keeps an applicant's thread professional.
  • Questions should not be demeaning, but should be asked in the "why or why not?" format. People will have a reason for doing things, so read their explanation and decide from there if they need further direction.
  • Please refrain from excessive posting unless there's something that you feel needs to be brought up (tanking gems in DPS gear, etc). Again, "why or why not?"
  • No flaming whatsoever.

The officers have a pretty good handle on applications, but that doesn't mean members shouldn't get involved. Remember to keep all posts intelligent, dignified, and professional.
We are each a beautiful and unique snowflake that will melt in hell.

I got the words "jacuzzi" and "yakuza" confused.
Now I'm in hot water with the Japanese mafia.
Phauss
Site Admin

Re: Posting in the Application area

Postby Meanmuggin » Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:11 am

/BUMP for signs on this. Myst's questions on the priest app is a great example of how it SHOULD be done. but things like...

OMGWTFUHASDOWNZ! are completely unacceptable..and you WILL be reprimanded. /shakesfist
Commander-in-Chief, Face Crew, 8 Years and Counting.
Meanmuggin

Postby Rosu » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:38 am

/sign

Also it is good to know that I can / should hop in there if I feel like I have a good question. I've been wondering about that.
Rosu

Postby Blooddusk » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:00 am

Aye, me too. I always wondered if I was allowed to do anything besides vouch for someone, like asking any questions, if only because I wasn't an officer and didn't really deal with the deliberation process ^ ^
Blooddusk

Postby Velynila » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:10 pm

/agree
[Characters] Velynila, Hycistus,Vynekk

Although my methods maybe odd or crazy to some, most of the times I'm right.
Velynila

Postby Forb » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:47 pm

The policy that I believe is the best would be: Officers only post on applications, if you want to post something, send a copy of the post you would like to make to an officer.

"Chi yo...yami yo...ware no moto ni!"
Forb
Site Mod

Postby Myst » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:30 am

Forb wrote:The policy that I believe is the best would be: Officers only post on applications, if you want to post something, send a copy of the post you would like to make to an officer.

Hmm, I dont necessarily agree with this for a few reasons.

[*] Even as officers, some dont always know everything about a certain class.
[*] Allowing all guild members (who follow guidelines) to post questions and concerns to applicants shows that we ALL care about who is invited. We ALL carry the tag. Ultimately, it is the officer's decision on who gets invited, but this also lets them know what the current member's opinion are.
[*] Sending a copy of a post to an officer to pre-review would become time consuming and micro managing, lengthening the time to recruit solid raiders. It has already happened where at least one applicant, since I've been here, has walked away due to the length of time to get a response.

I also happen to agree with Cavis when he questioned inviting everyone who applies. This doesn't represent a solid guild structure, in my opinion. I've even heard it mentioned in vent previously a comment about another higher ranked guild who "invites anyone". If we expect a correct and fully complete application combined with posts from guild members, this shows the applicant that we are dedicated players who take our raid spots seriously. This, in turn, builds a solid guild.

Myst

Postby Sabagallu » Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:32 pm

This is a pretty new board with not many applicants, and I would have to say judging from the previous forum, not everyone is invited. I think it is good to have gotten a string of good applicants!
Sabagallu

Postby Forb » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:15 pm

You might be surprised in how much some of the officers obsess over knowing as much as they can about every aspect of this game.

A lot of the time, it's really easy to look and see if it's a legit question, or just posting to make a post. Myself, if I don't know about a certain topic, I do a quick bit of research to see what the general idea is. If it's something that is said to be personal preference, then I don't think that is a good question. If it's something that should be required, or something that is said to be the best, then it's a good thing to ask why they are not doing that.

We don't just expect all of our applicants to respect us, we expect the guild to respect the applicants. It is important to make a good first impression so that they feel this is a place they would like to stay and grow with us together. If I were an applicant and I saw that any old member was asking me a stupid min-maxing question on something that was my preference, I would probably be rethinking my application.

And when you talk about the people that take back their app because it took too long, that's their loss. If they are going to be that way, then they will obviously not fit in with us long term.

"Chi yo...yami yo...ware no moto ni!"
Forb
Site Mod

Postby Myst » Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:39 pm

Forb wrote:You might be surprised in how much some of the officers obsess over knowing as much as they can about every aspect of this game.

I do understand that some officers do this, I did not intend to offend anyone by my previous statement. If I did, I apologize.

Even as an initiate I have a voice and I use it, always with respect.
Myst

Next

Return to World of Warcraft