A New Build?

Re: A New Build?

Postby Phauss » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:23 pm

I suppose it was time to update the prices on the list. Things stayed mostly the same, with the exception being the graphics cards and memory. More on those below.

I'm not sure if it was a typo in earlier estimates or not, but the memory went up from $220 to $330, and I can't find any decent 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 RAM for under that price, even at a relatively slow 2400 FSB (the highest speed the board can handle before overclocking.) That jacked up the overall totals quite a bit, for sure. I'll keep an eye out for something a bit more cost-effective.

Gigabyte finally came out with their small form factor 1080GTX card for $540. That's expensive, sure, but I'm pleased that it's priced like other 1080's and they didn't charge more for the small size. The 1070 and 1060 cards went down in price, keeping the other prices more or less the same, balancing against the hike in memory cost. Remember that the original planned rig used a 1070 instead of the recent 1080, and the price for that build has stayed consistent within $100 (assuming the graphics cards weren't sold out at the time.)

At this point, I'm holding out for Black Friday/Cyber Monday sales to jump on these parts when they're going to be at their best prices for a long time. I'll also look into AMD builds since they came out with their new Ryzen CPU and Vega GPU recently, though a quick glance tells me that they will be more expensive than the i7 and nVidia build in this thread. Also, I'd prefer to avoid going way overboard on price when I buy the parts like I did with the build that started this thread. Let's at least stick to the plan this time.
We are each a beautiful and unique snowflake that will melt in hell.
Phauss
Site Admin

Postby Clow » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:29 pm

Good luck findin dem dealz mayn.
What do you call a midget fortune teller who has escaped from prison?
A small medium at large.
http://aserverwith.no-ip.org/img/Pizzer ... 809317.png
Clow
Site Admin

Postby Phauss » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:42 pm

I did it. I pulled the trigger. Not only did I do it, I stayed totally within the planned price range (unlike my current rig).

Some of the parts are different from the original build, such as the memory, PSU, CPU fan, and SSD. I went with the GTX1080 because the price savings from the other parts on sale justified the extra cost. Other things were greatly marked down over what I had originally selected ($300 for 32GB DDR4 3000 vs. $340 for 32GB DDR4 2400), and others were just sold out, so I had to make an alternative choice. The new CPU fan wasn't only cheaper, it was much more effective according to reviews. Price savings also allowed me to get a larger M.2 SSD, up from 120GB to a 240GB with a faster read/write speed.

I think part of the reason why I stayed within the price constraints is because this is a mini-ITX build. There simply wasn't enough room to buy an extra video card, or shove another 32GB of memory in the case. The important bits are top-end, and there's physically no slot unfilled. I'm taking the two SSD's and the HDD from the old rig and using them in the new one. Everything else is covered.

I might stylize the case. Maybe I'll make a clear window for the side with lighting. But maybe not. Oh well.

Time to wait a few years for the next build this thread will see.

We are each a beautiful and unique snowflake that will melt in hell.
Phauss
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Tech