Solid State Drives

Solid State Drives

Postby Phauss » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:05 am

This deserves to be in the forum.

We are each a beautiful and unique snowflake that will melt in hell.
Phauss
Site Admin

Re: Solid State Drives

Postby Clow » Mon May 13, 2013 10:17 am

I'm thinking about buying an SSD for my OS and just reworking my entire computer (software-wise).

A fresh install and an SSD would make things so much faster. A million times faster. I just wish they weren't so pricey.

What do people think? Worth it?
What do you call a midget fortune teller who has escaped from prison?
A small medium at large.
http://aserverwith.no-ip.org/img/Pizzer ... 809317.png
Clow
Site Admin

Postby Phauss » Sun May 19, 2013 3:12 pm

A solid state drive definitely makes things faster, but this video shows many raided together as a single collective drive so it can be misleading. There's also the disadvantage of actual write space and price per GB, but it's getting better every day. I use two 120GB raided solid states in my rig for the operating system and resource-intensive programs. I have to watch the drive space even with 240GB of space. I have also relocated the documents folder out of C: and the libraries point to the 3TB hdd.

In short, I'd do it with a couple drives and some planning beforehand. It's best done on a new build where things haven't been established yet, or with a system that's going to be formatted anyways.
Phauss
Site Admin

Postby Forb » Sun May 19, 2013 7:01 pm

Phauss wrote:A solid state drive definitely makes things faster, but this video shows many raided together as a single collective drive so it can be misleading. There's also the disadvantage of actual write space and price per GB, but it's getting better every day. I use two 120GB raided solid states in my rig for the operating system and resource-intensive programs. I have to watch the drive space even with 240GB of space. I have also relocated the documents folder out of C: and the libraries point to the 3TB hdd.

In short, I'd do it with a couple drives and some planning beforehand. It's best done on a new build where things haven't been established yet, or with a system that's going to be formatted anyways.

How would you rate the possible effects of turning your 2-drive raid into a 3-drive raid?
"Art is why I get up in the morning but my definition ends there. You know I don't think it's fair that I'm living for something I can't even define."
Forb
Site Mod

Postby Phauss » Mon May 20, 2013 9:24 pm

If the third drive was another SSD, then it would be a 50% increase in performance. If it were a HDD, then performance would likely go down even with an extra drive to write to since the SSD's would have to wait for the HDD to finish its part of the work.
Phauss
Site Admin

Postby Phauss » Fri May 06, 2016 7:56 am

Here it is, folks. A good 1TB SSD for the same price a good 120GB drive was 3 years ago. Times are changin'. With the memory density we're achieving with SD and Micro SD cards, I can see solid state exceeding standard hard disks in capacity in the not-too-distant future, maybe even at a cheaper price per GB. We're getting old, man.
Phauss
Site Admin

Postby Forb » Fri May 06, 2016 10:30 am

Wow, I can't wait for the end of this year. Black Friday sales and stuff is when I can upgrade my computer with one of those.
Maybe I should look at other possible part upgrades.
"Art is why I get up in the morning but my definition ends there. You know I don't think it's fair that I'm living for something I can't even define."
Forb
Site Mod

Postby Forb » Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:14 pm

Bought a 60$ 250 GB SSD on Newegg today. Can't wait to install it.
Forb
Site Mod

Return to Tech