Fono's Currently Airing Anime Thread of Love!

Re: Fono's Currently Airing Anime Thread of Love!

Postby Clow » Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:33 pm

Alight, bitches. Let's talk spring anime.
For your research needs.

I'm going to talk about seven shows in this post. Buckle up, we're in for a ride. Not, like, the big popular ride. The line's too long. But that medium-sized one, you know? The compromise-coaster. That one.
I'm going to address the three anime that were on my radar from the beginning first. I'm 90% sure I'll watch them all the way to the end. Then I'll talk about the four anime I picked up based on their synopses and PVs. I just finished watching episode one for all four. For those four, I'm going to classify them as either:
  • Garbo - These are anime that somehow magically offended me so much by their first episode that I've decided I'm done with them.
  • 3 Ep Rule - These anime caught my attention, but I still have some misgivings. So, they get the three episode rule. Watch the first three, and by then you have enough information to make a good decision on continuing.
  • Going to Watch - These are anime that impressed me so thoroughly with the first episode that I've already decided to watch them to the end.

LET'S GET THIS SHIT ROLLING BITCHES.

Three-I-was-previously-interested-in-tier:
Anime 1: Boku no Hero Academia S2
Spoiler: show
There's no secret that this is a show I adore. I've posted about the manga and anime numerous times. It's a shounen pleasantly inspired by western superhero comics. First season doesn't even finish the set up. Second season should be largely about a tournament, which lets you get to know a lot of the characters much better than you do before. If you liked the first season it's something to be excited about.
Enjoy this link to the OP while it's still there:

Anime 2: Shingeki no Kyojin S2
Otherwise known as Attack on Titan. Probably not much to say here. Everyone knows enough about this show to love or hate it by now. Conveniently enough, the second season starts maybe three or four chapters before I stopped reading the manga. So I'll probably start watching to help catch myself up.
OP:

Anime 3: Tsugumomo
I've talked about this one a little bit recently. I'll just link this post here and the OP below.

Four-that-caught-my-interest-tier:
Anime 4: Busou Shoujo Machiavellianism
MORE LIKE MOUTHFUL-ISM.
The premise of this one is that it takes place in a school where the girls are allowed to carry weapons and oppress the boys as a result. Male delinquents start getting sent there for reform. So, our MC-kun gets sent there, but instead of becoming their bitch he starts beating the shit out of them. Even though all he wants to do is chill. Really good character designs, good fight scenes, and an enjoyable protagonist. It does suffer from a lot of rehashed high school action anime tropes, though. Very confidently giving this one a rating of:
3-episode-rule!
Here, have the OP. Oni-chan iand Blind-samurai-chan are the dorbs.

Anime 5: Granblue Fantasy the Animation
I really wanted a fantasy adventure, so I gave this a shot despite my misgivings about it being the adaptation of a smartphone game which is popular in Japan. Game adaptations are always shit,
and the smartphone game bit made me more anxious. But I was pretty surprised. And all-star voice cast and really interesting designs and art. It does suffer from a handful of issues, though. The main character, Gran, is painfully bland so far/ He's also just a nice guy who finds a damsel and distress and decides to help. I'm hoping they grow him more. He has a familiar (voiced by Kugimiya Rie) and JESUS FUCK IS IT ANNOYING. It also has some dumpy CGI in its action sequences sometimes. I really want to give it a chance, though. I'm very attracted to a few of the character designs, as well as the setting. There was also a moment where I made a joke about Bahamut from Final Fantasy IX and then they summoned a dragon named Bahamut five seconds later and I actually lost my shit. Regardless, I really want to like this one, so I'm pushing a few misgivings aside and officially giving this one a rating of:
3-episode-rule!
Also onus points for having the OP sung by Bump of Chicken. OP here. (Dailymotion, YT keeps stripping audio off of uploads on there.)

Anime 6: Alice to Zouroku
This one is... complicated. Phew, where to start. It has a very idiosyncratic art style. Not in a bad way, but in a way that I think is going to be hate-it-or-love-it. I was attracted to the premise, where a little girl with supernatural powers escapes her captors in a lab and ends up meeting and getting help from an old man, but man was the show different than what I expected. She's very assertive while being a little awkward (due to her naivete) at the same time, and he's a straight-faced no-bullshit taker. His personality especially I like, but it felt too out-of-place for all of this magic to be happening around him and for him to not react at all. Like at all. I don't know. There was also the fact that the episode was 44 minutes long. I'm going to, with mild reluctance, rate this one:
3-episode-rule!

Anime 7: Eromanga-sensei
Second-best first, best for last. Gave me some Oreimo vibes. Protag is a light novel author who lives with his little sister, but their relationship is awkward. Well, soon enough he finds out that she's the artist who draws all of the pictures for his books, who had sense remained anonymous behind the pen name "Eromanga-sensei." This revelation, along with her revelation that he's actually the author she's been working with for so long, opens up their relationship. Also! Yoshitsugu Matsuoka voices the protagonist! He's the person who voices Sora from No Game No Life. It makes me so happy whenever he gets excited,
because this character raises his voice in exactly the same way that Sora did. Takes me back to NGNL for a split second every time. All things considered, I'm proud to give this show from my evening watching session the elusive and high-regarded rating of:
Going-to-watch!
The only one, whoo! No OP yet, so have the PV:
What do you call a midget fortune teller who has escaped from prison?
A small medium at large.
http://aserverwith.no-ip.org/img/Pizzer ... 809317.png
Clow
Site Admin

Postby Clow » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:20 am

Just finished watching the second episode of Granblue Fantasy. Definitely confirmed for me that it's worth watching. The shitty CGI monsters and the fucking awful mascot character are a bit of a shame but how gorgeous everything else is, how nice the character designs are, and the story and setting so far have more than made up for them. Just looking at the cast makes me excited to keep meeting them! The old dude with the gun looks fucking neat.

And there's Gran and Lyria, too, or something. And that annoying fucking newt. But Gran and Lyria are pretty cute together!

It's definitely going for the generic JRPG experience through and through, so you've got to be in it for all of those cliches or you'll probably not like it, but if you're game for them then it's been great so far!

And I've been thinking, if Hunter has never played any JRPGs knowing his tastes he's really been missing out. I'd even say have Hunter try this show out and see what he thinks since it reeks (good way) of JRPGs. But especially PS1-era Final Fantasys are so good, so flavorful. Something for him to consider, might make a JRPG post somewhere later on to talk about it.
A small medium at large.
Clow
Site Admin

Postby Clow » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:19 am

I'm becoming more and more interested in Granblue as I learn more about it. First thing's first: characters coming straight from the game confirmed (although this is from a console release which was announced last year, not the mobile game):

Second thing: the ED is gorgeous BUT IT'S IMPOSSIBLE TO FIND THE FULL SONG. I LOOKED SO HARD.

And lastly, Nobuo Uematsu, who has been Square's composer for most of their games, worked on Granblue's music. And Hideo Manaba, who worked on FF6, FF9, and Lost Odyssey, is the art director. So the art and music are guaranteed to be on-point.

So I imagine by the end of this anime I'll be begging for an English release of the game. It being a phone game is probably a bonus. #accessibility
I'm honestly a little jealous of all of the Japanese people who get to be all excited about these characters they love get animated. STILL NO FINAL FANTASY 9 ANIME, JAPAN.

[Edit] Found stuff from the mobile game, the first half is basically what happens in the first couple of episodes of the anime.

A small medium at large.
Clow
Site Admin

Postby Clow » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:19 am

Aight chillins, let's talk about Gamers!

And there's more to like than just the Princess-Jellyfish-tier OP.

Obviously there are more things I'm watching this season, like Boku no Hero Academia and Tsurezure Children (basically just those atm), but Gamers is something special. It is a unique existence. It is a romcom which is based almost completely on understandings... which is good. I'm aware that Kimi ni Todoke exists, but stick with me here. This is different.

Let's start with a short description. Gamers! is about, well, gamers. As of episode 8, all of the important relationships are between 5 people, and 4 of them are gamers. The main heroine (I guess) Tendou (henceforth affectionately called Nintendo) is the school's idol, and secretly the president of the school's gaming club. Two of the others, Keita and Chiaki (henceforth affectionately called Playstation) are loner gamer otaku which Nintendo is trying to get into the gaming club, Uehara is basically a closet gamer trying to keep a cool-guy image, and Aguri is his girlfriend.

So... what do their relationships look like? Like this. Now, you might be thinking that with an already-established couple that most of the drama would maybe come from Tendou and Chiaki both being interested in Keita, right? Haha. Hahaha. HAHAHAHAHA OH MY SWEET SUMMER CHILD. I told you, this show is built on misunderstandings. Hilarious, fantastic, rage-inducing misunderstandings. These people don't talk to each other to clear things up, they almost-literally only interact with one another to make an understanding worse. You'll laugh, you'll cry. The first 8 episodes which have aired have made me bury my head in my pillow to scream as loud as I can and laugh as loud as I can. They've made me frown and smile so hard that my cheeks hurt. It's one of the biggest rollercoasters I've been on, and even when I'm miserable I'm somehow having fun. Without spoiling too much about the plot, please refer to this post for a vague description: https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/comments ... h=51b0237c.

So why like it? All five of the main characters are likable in multiple ways. Nintendou is just fucking cute. But so is Playstation, even though my feelings about her are mixed. Aguri and Uehara can be pretty adorable. And Keita isn't the worst MC-kun out there. He has some self-image issues, but he can have a backbone when he needs to.

Oh, and also, the faces that some of these characters make are fucking golden. Especially Uehara.

Basically, fucking watch Gamers!.
A small medium at large.
Clow
Site Admin

Postby Clow » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:30 pm

You know, during the intro to episode 8 of Gamers!, a new character was introduced. She was the student council president, and a bit of a perv who had a passion for eroge. The phrase "Why is Sugisaki Ken in this anime, as a grill?" came out of my fucking mouth.

Then, I read this comment:
https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/comments ... n/dmdt790/

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH IT'S FROM THE SAME FUCKING AUTHOR AS SEITOKAI NO ICHIZON AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

GAMERS IS BAE. GAMERS IS BAE. GAMERS IS BAE. GAMERS IS BAE.
A small medium at large.
Clow
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Anime