Does this gif actually exist?

"Chi yo...yami yo...ware no moto ni!"
Forb
Site Mod

Re: Artist & Album Sharing Game!

Postby Forb » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:39 pm

Phauss wrote:Klaatu - Hope
Spoiler: show

This is an old album made shortly after the Beatles broke up. When the album was released, there were no names or information released with the music and it was believed for a time that this album was made by the Beatles after their breakup. It turned out to be a Canadian group named Klaatu, who have since been an obscure band from that era of music.

This album tells a story, so it's best to listen to it in one sitting. It's about the exploration, foundation, and ultimate downfall of a race from different perspectives. The album is, in my opinion, a masterpiece of production and composition.

This was recorded from the vinyl it originally came on to the computer while I was at the house in Kingman, which explains the large files (and lossless .wav format.) It sounds wholesome with those little pops and hisses from the record.

This is a good album.

First listen, I popped it on and had no problem letting it go for hours on end.

The quality of this album in production and composition is superb. It definitely speaks for an era, as obscure music tends to do. Overwhelmingly, it feels very Beatlesque but I also feel a lot of Rush when I hear it. A lot of that comes from killer bass lines and a great accompaniment of keyboard.

My suspicion is that a time-traveler gathered Geddy Lee, Paul McCartney and Jello Biafra to make this album. The selection of instruments and noises works so well with the timing that I'm quite astonished how smoothly it goes down (The audio straight from vinyl totally helps). The vocals are really pleasing throughout and do way more for me than John Lennon's ever did, if we're comparing this to the Beatles.

Completely separate from the music (subject of debate), the lyrics provide and form a brilliant illustration of a view into psycho-politics. My favorite song is Around the Universe in 80 Days. I'll clip a few of my favorite lines here:
Code: Select all
In our warp where time and space are one
We can no longer see the sun
In fact there's nothing there for us to see
For light is nowhere near as fast as we

What this means is our existence no longer has a limit

All life in space must learn to live as one
Maybe now is the time for friendship with out neighbors

Now, those who have had long discussions with me about philosophy of the existential and psychedelic nature might understand why these lines speak to me. To sum it up: I very highly value perspective on the cosmos... and this delivers. Around the Universe in 80 Days and Long Live Politzania sit tied as my favorite two tracks, which I would call the masterpiece of this album (They are in succession, after all).

I could go on and detail what I like about every bit of this album, but I don't think it is necessary. I do have one negative thing to say, and that is the fact that none of this music stuck with me. Yeah, it's all good but none of it had me coming back for more of a specific song besides the lyrics. I have to suggest this is why this band stayed obscure relative to the current passage of time and culture.

For sure, this is a band that I will listen to more of and I know that Hope will get shared to friends at least more than once. I will probably look for this to pull out when I am taking someone on a big psychedelic trip.

Those interested in doing some reading about psycho-politics, I recommend the following webpage.
http://members.iimetro.com.au/~hubbca/psychopolitics.htm

Forb
Site Mod

Postby Lim » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:54 pm

Klaatu verata nicto!
Stay one step ahead in terms of logic

Lim

Postby Forb » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:09 pm

Clow wrote:Stepdad 's Ordinare

I would like to present something that Dom introduced me to, which I quite care for. Stepdad's Ordinaire EP. They're a quirky, fun, and interesting mix of electronic and pop. A lot of their songs have a playful 8-bit sound.

They have a song in particular I care for, Cutie Boots. It's honestly one of the most adorable romance songs I've ever heard. I just adore it. You guys should give it a listen. The EP can be found in FTP://Fono's_Stuff/Music

They also have an LP which has been out for a few months called Wildlife Pop I haven't looked into yet.

Oh, and I'm also going to make a big post about things in this thread I've listened to soon.

Hmm, this is an interesting addition to this thread as an EP. EPs and mixtapes hold a very interesting place in the state of music culture.

I'd like to paraphrase Iggy Azalea on this:
People expect a lot from mixtapes, they judge them as they would an album nowadays.

You have to remember a mixtape is different from an album, A record and a song is different.

People expect to hear a #1 on a mixtape. You lose what it is supposed to be about in essence, and that is not an album cut.

An album is a project with progression that it put together. People are a little spoiled in terms of what to expect from a mixtape.

That said, I honestly don't have too much to say about this particular EP.

I enjoy the tracks Jungles and My Leather, My Fur, My Nails. Cutie Boots is alright.

Overall, to me it just feels really uninspired. It seems generic in the way that I feel when they were writing the music they were just listening to other similar music and making their own composition. There's nothing special about this group, unfortunately. The catchy songs I listed were the redeeming qualities that had me give this a good amount of listens.

I may have a particular disposition away from the genre of music these guys are representing for two reasons:
1. Male vocals. It's just harder for me to get into anything that has male vocals, especially if they aren't bringing anything new or unique to the table.
2. Recent electronic-pop music. Lots of things come into play here, but mostly leading back to my opinions of the current entertainment industry. It just feels like it was made hastily and thrust out for profit.

I wish I had better things to say about this EP, but it's pretty clear that I'm not the one to be reviewing it if that's what you're looking for.

Forb
Site Mod

Postby Phauss » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:49 am

Forb wrote:

This is an old album made shortly after the Beatles broke up. When the album was released, there were no names or information released with the music and it was believed for a time that this album was made by the Beatles after their breakup. It turned out to be a Canadian group named Klaatu, who have since been an obscure band from that era of music.

This album tells a story, so it's best to listen to it in one sitting. It's about the exploration, foundation, and ultimate downfall of a race from different perspectives. The album is, in my opinion, a masterpiece of production and composition.

This was recorded from the vinyl it originally came on to the computer while I was at the house in Kingman, which explains the large files (and lossless .wav format.) It sounds wholesome with those little pops and hisses from the record.

This is a good album.

First listen, I popped it on and had no problem letting it go for hours on end.

The quality of this album in production and composition is superb. It definitely speaks for an era, as obscure music tends to do. Overwhelmingly, it feels very Beatlesque but I also feel a lot of Rush when I hear it. A lot of that comes from killer bass lines and a great accompaniment of keyboard.

My suspicion is that a time-traveler gathered Geddy Lee, Paul McCartney and Jello Biafra to make this album. The selection of instruments and noises works so well with the timing that I'm quite astonished how smoothly it goes down (The audio straight from vinyl totally helps). The vocals are really pleasing throughout and do way more for me than John Lennon's ever did, if we're comparing this to the Beatles.

Completely separate from the music (subject of debate), the lyrics provide and form a brilliant illustration of a view into psycho-politics. My favorite song is Around the Universe in 80 Days. I'll clip a few of my favorite lines here:
Code: Select all
In our warp where time and space are one
We can no longer see the sun
In fact there's nothing there for us to see
For light is nowhere near as fast as we

What this means is our existence no longer has a limit

All life in space must learn to live as one
Maybe now is the time for friendship with out neighbors

Now, those who have had long discussions with me about philosophy of the existential and psychedelic nature might understand why these lines speak to me. To sum it up: I very highly value perspective on the cosmos... and this delivers. Around the Universe in 80 Days and Long Live Politzania sit tied as my favorite two tracks, which I would call the masterpiece of this album (They are in succession, after all).

I could go on and detail what I like about every bit of this album, but I don't think it is necessary. I do have one negative thing to say, and that is the fact that none of this music stuck with me. Yeah, it's all good but none of it had me coming back for more of a specific song besides the lyrics. I have to suggest this is why this band stayed obscure relative to the current passage of time and culture.

For sure, this is a band that I will listen to more of and I know that Hope will get shared to friends at least more than once. I will probably look for this to pull out when I am taking someone on a big psychedelic trip.

Those interested in doing some reading about psycho-politics, I recommend the following webpage.
http://members.iimetro.com.au/~hubbca/psychopolitics.htm

I feel the same way about it. "Around the Universe in 80 days" and "The Lighthouse Keeper" are songs that I feel have profound lyrics. "Politzania" also has excellent lyrics, but in a different sense I think.

Since the tracks were taken from a single play of a vinyl record, the track count isn't entirely accurate. There should actually be 8 tracks, with the instrumental between "Loneliest of Creatures" and "Lighthouse Keeper" comprising its own track called "Prelude".

If I wanted an excellent intrumental experience, I may listen to the intro to Boston's "Long Time" or I will find "Prelude" in the second half of "Loneliest of Creatures" as I have it recorded. "Around the Universe", "Prelude", "The Lighthouse Keeper" sometimes call to me when I'm listening to music on my MP3 player. I guess it's a combination of different things that make it stick with me, because when I find myself listening to it, I didn't necessarily mean to in the first place. I mean, a song will come up on shuffle, and then I just have to hear the next song in sequence, and then I end up listening to the whole album.
We are each a beautiful and unique snowflake that will melt in hell.

I got the words "jacuzzi" and "yakuza" confused.
Now I'm in hot water with the Japanese mafia.
Phauss
Site Admin

Postby Clow » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:20 pm

MC Frontalot - Solved
For all of your indie nerdcore needs.
Huge album art too lazy to resize holy fuck.

There's really not too much to say here. I discovered Frontalot through his music video for "I'll Form the Head," which is featured on this album. You should watch it. It'll give you a giggle m8. He's just a really good nerdcore artist. And this album shows it. With heavy hitters like "Stoop Sale" and "Invasion of the Not Quite Dead" this album is pretty much great.
It also features a few skits where he's seeing a shrink and asking them ridiculous questions.They're really cute, and show off his wit.
I'll put it in the FTP under Fono's_Stuff/Music.
What do you call a midget fortune teller who has escaped from prison?
A small medium at large.
http://aserverwith.no-ip.org/img/Pizzer ... 809317.png
Clow
Site Admin

Postby Forb » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:36 pm

Thanks.

I like: Front The Least, Captains Of Industry, Critical Hit, Invasion Of The Not Quite Dead, Power User, I'll Form The Head, and Just Once.

It was a pleasant listen, I've already listened to it twice.

Forb
Site Mod

Postby Phauss » Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:38 am

Clow wrote:MC Frontalot - Solved
For all of your indie nerdcore needs.
Huge album art too lazy to resize holy fuck.

There's really not too much to say here. I discovered Frontalot through his music video for "I'll Form the Head," which is featured on this album. You should watch it. It'll give you a giggle m8. He's just a really good nerdcore artist. And this album shows it. With heavy hitters like "Stoop Sale" and "Invasion of the Not Quite Dead" this album is pretty much great.
It also features a few skits where he's seeing a shrink and asking them ridiculous questions.They're really cute, and show off his wit.
I'll put it in the FTP under Fono's_Stuff/Music.

This isn't bad. It feels kind of like novelty, like what was mentioned in one of the tracks. The lyrics would identify heavily with the people it's made for and there are a couple of nostalgia trips for the casual nerd in there. The music as a whole is pretty good. It kind of reminds me of RJD2 in a way. I really enjoyed the "Problems" tracks.

Phauss
Site Admin

Postby Phauss » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:25 am

Failure - Fantastic Planet
In /music on the FTP server.

I discovered Failure when a webcomic artist linked a video of "The Nurse Who Loved Me" in the blurb area below the comic. I thought, "hey, that's a good cover of A Perfect Circle," and checked them out on youtube. Not only did I find out that A Perfect Circle was actually covering Failure, I also rediscovered early/mid 90's alt rock.

They went on haitus shortly after this album (1996), but they got back together last year and have a new album coming out in a few months. I expect good things.

Phauss
Site Admin

Postby Clow » Wed May 27, 2015 6:26 pm

Phauss wrote:Failure - Fantastic Planet

I really like this one. It's really comfortable. I think I probably just like space rock. Calm, almost ambient at times. And it doesn't have to be full-blown trippy like Floyd was. I really like dude's voice in the softer songs.
I really like Daylight, a lot because the instrumental stuck out so much to me. I really like Blank, too. Super, super soothing to me fore some reason.

Also,

St. Paul and the Broken Bones - Half the City:

Tl;dr a soul band out of Birmingham, AL that's only a couple of years old but has really started to take off. And for good reason. There's really not much to say other than it's just really good soul music. Grass is Greener, Call Me, and Broken Bones & Pocket Change are my favorite tracks. Also, I actually much prefer their music live, just because of Paul. I'll link a few videos of their lives below. And you can find the entire album in the FTP under /radio in the folder named for the band.

St. Paul & The Broken Bones - Grass Is Greener (Live @ 2013 Bristol Rhythm & Roots Reunion)
St. Paul And The Broken Bones: NPR Music Tiny Desk Concert
What do you call a midget fortune teller who has escaped from prison?
A small medium at large.
http://aserverwith.no-ip.org/img/Pizzer ... 809317.png
Clow
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Music