The Website

Forum Issues? Site Suggestions?

Re: The Website

Postby Phauss » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:26 am

Image resizing code finished. That install was... fun, I guess.

I put a band-aid on resizing inside spoiler tags, so that instead of images resizing if they're larger than 100% of the post width, they're resizing if they're wider than a fixed value. I'm counting on the majority of resolutions being 1920x1080. This fix obviously won't work on smartphones or smaller resolutions. I'd prefer using percentages as before, but since the spoiler code block doesn't have an assigned width (it inherits it from the post), the image basically doesn't have any width constraints and it isn't resized. It seems like an issue with the spoiler code, so I'll see what I can do about that.
We are each a beautiful and unique snowflake that will melt in hell.

I got the words "jacuzzi" and "yakuza" confused.
Now I'm in hot water with the Japanese mafia.
Phauss
Site Admin

Postby Phauss » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:22 am

I changed some user registration settings. Hopefully things work out.

Phauss
Site Admin

Postby Phauss » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:17 am

Some things I've wanted to do for a while:
-Find a way to "subscribe" to threads so that they show up on the user's front page for quick access. (I want to put a "[+]" after a forum topic that does this.)
-Fix the time zone for the recent forum posts box on the front page.
-Take the minecraft map off the "extras" page and put it into its own dedicated page for a larger viewing window.
-Make a live version of that encryption thing I was doing a while back.
-Add "Uploaded on: *date/time*" to each image's info.

Phauss
Site Admin

Postby Phauss » Sat May 02, 2015 5:16 am

I went ahead and whipped up a bit of code to integrate some of the server interfaces into the main page. No need to remember any weird port numbers or URL's! You can now access the torrent and FTP server at http://aserverwith.no-ip.org/interfaces.php, as long as you have the login info. I debated adding the radio interface, but there's no authentication for it and anyone could screw with the stream if they wanted. I have other plans for it anyways.

I find myself wanting more and more to make thread bookmarks a thing on the main page. A user would hit an icon or something next to the thread title and the thread would be made accessible from the user's front page. We'll see if I do anything with that idea.

Phauss
Site Admin

Postby Phauss » Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:55 am

The server is back up and running. It might take a bit of time to get things back to where they were before they crashed, but so far, all the essential stuff is working as expected. Vent, forums, FTP, torrent interface, and whatever else minus a Minecraft server. It's going to take a bit of time for everything to transfer over to the new drive (4TB!!), but it'll work out within a couple days.

Also, a present for Stef:
Spoiler: show
You don't have to redo all the tags!

inb4: LOL APRIL FOOLS ITS ALL FUCKED

Really, though. It's an entirely new computer, except for the case. Fry's was having a good set of weekly deals, so I walked out with some good stuff for a fair price. I decided to go with an AMD processor this time just to try something new. There was a mobo/CPU combo for about $60 using an AMD A4 7300 CPU, worth it just for the processor alone. It's got 8GB of Kingston DDR3 RAM (2x4GB) for about $30, a 380W Raidmax PSU for $20 (!!), and an HGST 4TB SATA 3 drive for around $120. I walked out for about $250 for something that could realistically handle everything including the minecraft servers.

Phauss
Site Admin

Postby Clow » Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:50 pm

Damn, sounds like you made out like a bandit. With a new rig this swag we could probably do biofuel farms using compost from cow farms huehue. Seriously, though, thank fucking christ the server's back.

Also that spoiler, thank god.
What do you call a midget fortune teller who has escaped from prison?
A small medium at large.
http://aserverwith.no-ip.org/img/Pizzer ... 809317.png
Clow
Site Admin

Postby Phauss » Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:56 pm

Clow wrote:With a new rig this swag we could probably do biofuel farms using compost from cow farms huehue.

We could even get away with having houses with about 6000 cows in them! The possibilities!

Phauss
Site Admin

Postby Forb » Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:39 pm

Phauss wrote:
We could even get away with having houses with about 6000 cows in them! The possibilities!

Lol +1

"Chi yo...yami yo...ware no moto ni!"
Forb
Site Mod

Postby HolyMassacre52 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:13 pm

WOOHOO, great to see you got some cool new goodies! Got some suggestions for some mods for the minecraft mod server. Ill post there what they are. So what happened to the server that caused it to go offline?
HolyMassacre52

Postby Phauss » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:37 am

Yesterday I randomly decided that I didn't like the length of the uploaded image URL's, so I went about changing things up. I decided to take it a step further and test the functionality of running two domains from the same port (usually a big no no). In short, I was successful. I made a second shorter domain and pointed the domain root to inside the uploaded image folder. Then I went about making the filenames much shorter. The images are uploaded to the same place, so there won't be any broken links. Old uploads will still have their long file names and the long URL still works, but now when you access them from the front page/gallery, they will be linked with the shorter domain.

Spoiler: show
I would've liked to make the URL's even shorter by utilizing capital letters (a base 62 number system), but the server uses Windows and the filesystem isn't case sensitive. Oh well.

Here's a demo.

Old image link:
http://aserverwith.no-ip.org/img/3t5quy ... 065870.jpg

New image link:
http://aserverwith.no-ip.org/img/1ae3yi.jpg

Old image with new URL:
http://aserverwith.no-ip.org/img/3t5quy ... 065870.jpg

This was mostly a test to see if running multiple domains would work. It was also a good opportunity to clean things up a bit.

PS - Going directly to [link redacted, see update below] redirects to the main site.

EDIT: Also fixed the timestamp on the latest post list to reflect the server time instead of GMT. That has been bothering me for a long, long time.

11NOV2020 UPDATE: DNS service fiasco, we lost the asw.no-ip.org domain, so the domain is still aserverwith.no-ip.org. Replacing the domain in broken images with "aserverwith.no-ip.org/img/[filename.jpg]" fixes the link. I'll reflect this in the image upload code so that supplied links are back to the long URL.

Phauss
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions and Ideas